- Work With AI
- OpenAI counters The NYTimes' lawsuit
OpenAI counters The NYTimes' lawsuit
Plus former CEO of Twitter raises $30M for a new AI startup
📰 News: OpenAI counters The NYTimes' lawsuit alleging that The NYTimes manipulated prompts
💰 Funding: Parag Agrawal, former CEO of Twitter, raises $30M for a new AI startup
⚡️ Top News Stories:
1. OpenAI counters The New York Times' lawsuit, claiming manipulation of ChatGPT and defending its use of copyrighted content.
OpenAI has responded to The New York Times' copyright lawsuit, claiming the case is without merit and alleging that The NYTimes manipulated prompts to make ChatGPT regurgitate excerpts of its articles.
The company argues that the verbatim examples cited by The Times are likely from older articles widely available on third-party websites.
OpenAI admits to taking down the ChatGPT feature 'Browse' which unintentionally reproduced content.
The company maintains that AI models need access to a vast range of human knowledge, including copyrighted material, for learning and problem-solving.
OpenAI asserts that using internet data for AI training falls under fair use rules, allowing repurposing of copyrighted works.
In August 2023, OpenAI offered website owners the option to block its web crawlers from accessing their data.
OpenAI made a similar argument to the UK House of Lords, emphasizing the necessity of copyrighted content for building AI systems like ChatGPT.
The company seeks to continue negotiations with The New York Times for a partnership, similar to those with Axel Springer and The Associated Press.
2. Samsung Electronics shared its vision for AI technology at CES 2024, focusing on making connected devices safer, more inclusive, and energy-efficient.
The company's AI strategy aims to enhance connected experiences, making them simpler and more useful. They announced the following AI-enabled Visual Display products and Digital Appliances, bringing new experiences to homes.
The Samsung Neo QLED 8K QN900D features a built-in AI Processor, NQ8 AI Gen 3, for upscaling content and enhancing viewing experiences.
Samsung's AI technology extends to accessibility features, like sign language and audio subtitles for different needs.
Samsung's rolling AI robot, Ballie, has evolved into an AI companion capable of interacting with other smart devices.
The Bespoke 4-Door Flex™ Refrigerator with AI Family Hub™+1 2 uses AI Vision Inside to recognize food items and suggest recipes.
Samsung's AI tech also enhances laundry and cleaning experiences with products like the Bespoke AI Laundry Combo™ and Bespoke Jet Bot Combo™5.
3. NY Governor Kathy Hochul proposes a $275M AI research center, named "Empire A.I., to boost NY's role in AI innovation.
4. Nvidia faces a setback in China as major firms like Alibaba, Tencent, Baidu, and ByteDance reject its new, less powerful AI chip due to US export restrictions.
5. Nvidia announces 3 new graphics cards designed to run AI applications, the RTX 4060 Super, RTX 4070 Ti Super, and RTX 4080 Super - prices range from $599 to $999.
6. AMD unveils the Ryzen 8000G series processors, bringing high-performance AI and gaming to entry-level desktops, with prices ranging from $179 to $329.
7. McAfee introduces Project Mockingbird, an AI-powered Deepfake Audio Detection tech to combat the escalating threat of AI-generated audio scams
8. Deloitte implements a generative AI chatbot, "PairD," for 75K employees across Europe+Middle East to enhance productivity for tasks like creating presentations, writing emails, and coding.
💰 Top Funding News:
1. Parag Agrawal, former CEO of Twitter, raises $30M led by Khosla Ventures for a new AI startup.
3. Moonwalk Biosciences, a AI based precision epigenetic medicine company, raised $57M in Seed and Series A funding from Alpha Wave Ventures, ARCH Venture Partners, Future Ventures, GV, Khosla Ventures, and YK Bioventures.
That's all for today's email! If you want more please follow us at the social channels linked below, or check out our website!
How'd you like today's email?
Share our newsletter: If you like our work please share/forward this email with your friends, colleagues, and family. It's the best way to support us!
If this email was forwarded to you please sign up here to continue receiving them.
Want your content, product, jobs, or event featured in our newsletter? Reply to this email with the details, and our team will reach out to you.
Do you use AI for work? Tell us how, and you could be featured in our newsletter!
Check out our website for more resources, including a list of AI investors, products, events, and twitter follows.
For an archive of all our posts, click here.
We'd love to hear from you! You can always leave us comments or feedback by replying to this email!