OpenAI hosts its first Developer Day
Plus Elon’s x.AI unveils its new AI bot
📰 News: OpenAI hosts its first Developer Day w/ tons of new announcements + Elon’s x.AI unveils its new AI bot
💰 Funding: Replit Raises $20M from Craft Ventures
⚡️ Top News Stories:
TLDR: OpenAI announced several new products and updates including new tools to build custom AI agents, a store for creators to sell their custom GPT bots, and updates to their existing models and tools.
Here’s a supercut of the keynote highlights and full list of all the updates.
GPT Builder Interface: A simple interface for building custom GPT agents, emphasizing that no coding knowledge is required. The process is quick and uses natural language, aiming to encourage a wide range of creations.
Custom ChatGPT Bots: Users will be able to create custom bots, called GPTs, tailored to specific uses with custom instructions, knowledge, and actions.
GPT Store Launch: Later this month, OpenAI will launch a GPT store where users can share and sell their custom GPT bots. Plans are to share a portion of ChatGPT subscription revenue w/ creators, based on the number of active users and additional category bonuses.
ChatGPT Gets GPT-4 Turbo: The chatbot will now use the latest version of OpenAI's language model, which can browse the web, write and run code, analyze data, and more. It will automatically know which model to use without a model-picker menu.
Copyright Shield: OpenAI introduces a "copyright shield" to defend customers from legal action related to copyright infringement, available to ChatGPT Enterprise and API users.
Pricing and Speed Improvements: GPT-4 Turbo will be cheaper for developers, with a 3x reduction in price for input tokens and 2x for output tokens. Speed gains are also a focus for future development.
GPT-4 and GPT-3.5 Updates: OpenAI announced improvements to these models, including updated knowledge bases and a longer context window. GPT-4 Turbo has been trained with information up to April 2023.
OpenAI also acknowledged the frustration with GPT-4's outdated knowledge and committed to keeping the system's information current.
Sam Altman revealed that 2M developers are using their tools, w/ 460 Fortune 500 companies as clients, and 100M people using ChatGPT weekly.
Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella expressed support for OpenAI's work and discussed Microsoft's vision for integrating AI across platforms.
TLDR: x.ai introduces Grok, an AI with a humorous and rebellious personality, designed for users who appreciate wit.
Grok is in early beta, with real-time knowledge and a willingness to tackle questions other AIs avoid.
The AI has shown strong results in benchmarks, surpassing models like ChatGPT-3.5 in its compute class.
xAI's custom stack for Grok focuses on efficiency and reliability, with plans for significant scaling.
Limited early access is available in the U.S., with a roadmap for new features and capabilities.
3. YouTube tests AI to summarize comments and enhance viewer interaction, starting with premium users.
4. Actors' guild SAG-AFTRA stands firm on AI concerns, despite studios' "final" offer as the entertainment strike crosses the 116-day mark.
5. Meta takes preemptive action against AI-driven election misinformation by baning generative AI tools for political ads.
6. Microsoft and Inworld AI partner to offer Xbox developers advanced AI tools for more dynamic and responsive gaming experiences, like AI-driven characters and narratives.
7. CBS News launches "CBS News Confirmed," a new unit dedicated to examining misinformation and deep fakes, often created by AI.
8. Study reveals a highly accurate ChatGPT detection tool, advancing the fight against AI-generated disinformation in science.
9. Bumble bets on AI and global expansion as Lidiane Jones takes the helm from founder Whitney Wolfe Herd.
10. Copilot AI assistant debuts in Windows 11, an AI that can write, draw, and code, transforming user interaction.
💰 Top Funding News:
2. Aleph Alpha is a German AI startup that provides comprehensive AI implementation, specifically focusing on EU-regulated data protection and security for government bodies, law enforcement, and healthcare sectors. They raised a $500 million Series B co-led by Schwarz Group (owners of Lidl) and Bosch Ventures.
That's all for today's email! If you want more please follow us at the social channels linked below, or check out our website!
How'd you like today's email?
Share our newsletter: If you like our work please share/forward this email with your friends, colleagues, and family. It's the best way to support us!
If this email was forwarded to you please sign up here to continue receiving them.
Want your content, product, jobs, or event featured in our newsletter? Reply to this email with the details, and our team will reach out to you.
Do you use AI for work? Tell us how, and you could be featured in our newsletter!
Check out our website for more resources, including a list of AI investors, products, events, and twitter follows.
For an archive of all our posts, click here.
We'd love to hear from you! You can always leave us comments or feedback by replying to this email!