- Work With AI
- OpenAI prepares for the 2024 Elections
OpenAI prepares for the 2024 Elections
Plus Microsoft launches Copilot Pro
📰 News: OpenAI shares how it plans to handle upcoming 2024 elections and potential risks from AI
💰 Funding: Isomorphic Labs signs $1Bn+ in pharmaceutical deals for AI-powered drug discovery
⚡️ Top News Stories:
1. OpenAI prepares for 2024 elections, updating policies and enhancing AI tools to prevent election interference and misinformation.
For the 2024 elections, they are focusing on providing accurate voting information, enforcing policies, and improving transparency. They are committed to ensuring its AI tools like DALL-E and ChatGPT do not disrupt the 2024 elections.
A dedicated team is working to prevent abuse, such as deepfakes and chatbots impersonating candidates.
They have also developed tools to improve factual accuracy, reduce bias, and decline harmful requests.
The company's Usage Policies for ChatGPT and the API are regularly being refined to prevent misuse. OpenAI's content policy prohibits the use of ChatGPT, custom GPTs, and API apps for political campaigning and lobbying.The policy also forbids creating chatbots that pretend to be candidates or government sources.
They are also implementing digital credentials for images generated by DALL·E 3 to improve transparency around AI-generated content. DALL-E is programmed not to generate images of real politicians.
The company is experimenting with a provenance classifier to detect images generated by DALL·E.
In the U.S., OpenAI is collaborating with the National Association of Secretaries of State to direct ChatGPT users to authoritative voting information. ChatGPT will increasingly link to real-time news resources to enhance transparency.
2. Microsoft introduces Copilot Pro, a $20/month AI-powered enhancement for Office apps.
Copilot Pro provides AI-powered features across Microsoft 365 apps like Word, Excel, and Outlook.
The subscription includes priority access to new AI models and credits for Designer.
Subscribers can create their own Copilot GPT with Copilot Pro.
Copilot Pro is an add-on for existing Microsoft 365 consumer and enterprise plans, not included in the base subscription.
Microsoft released new mobile apps for Copilot and integrated it into the Microsoft 365 mobile app.
Users can now try pre-made Copilot GPTs for specific topics, such as fitness and cooking, for free.
Copilot for Microsoft 365 is now available to all businesses without seat minimums at $30 per user per month.
The business version of Copilot integrates with Microsoft 365 data and apps, including Teams.
Microsoft aims to enhance productivity and rapidly scale Copilot with both free access and paid subscription options.
3. Research by Anthropic reveals AI algorithms can be turned into hidden backdoors for cybercrime, covertly activating harmful and malicious code.
4. Artifact, the AI news app co-founded by Kevin Systrom, a co-founder of Instagram, shuts down operations after launching just over a year ago, due to a limited market opportunity.
5. OpenAI's GPT Store, which just launched last week, is experiencing moderation issues with the influx of several "girlfriend" bots, despite explicit rules against them.
6. OpenAI, Anthropic, and Cohere, along with Chinese AI experts, engaged in secret diplomacy to discuss AI safety and standards amid concerns about misinformation and social cohesion.
7. OpenAI has successfully signed up 260 enterprise customers for its ChatGPT Enterprise service just 4 months after launch, w/ 150k+ employees registered to use the product.
8. OpenAI is in discussions with CNN, Fox Corp., and Time to license their content for training and featuring in its AI products, amid ongoing copyright infringement allegations.
9. International Monetary Fund (IMF) issues a warning that nearly 40% of global jobs could be affected by the rise of AI and urges action to mitigate rising inequality, w/ high-income economies especially at greater risk.
10. Google cuts over 1,000 jobs in voice assistance and hardware teams, including Google Assistant and Fitbit.
11. Apple Inc. is closing its 121-person AI team in San Diego, w/ employees facing the risk of termination unless they relocate to Austin, TX.
12. Elon Musk has asked that Tesla's board grant him shares worth over $80Bn in order to increase his ownership to 25% to prevent takeovers and maintain control over Tesla's AI and robotics ventures. If the board doesn’t agree, Musk has indicated he might pursue other AI ventures outside of Tesla.
13. Yotta, an Indian data center operator, plans to purchase additional AI chips from Nvidia, totaling $1Bn in orders, in order to boost India's AI infrastructure and cloud services.
💰 Top Funding News:
1. Isomorphic Labs, an AI startup under Alphabet applying Google DeepMind’s biology protein-structure predicting model AlphaFold to drug discovery, signed its first pharmaceutical partnerships with Eli Lilly and Novartis for deals potentially worth up to $3Bn.
4. CellVoyant, which uses AI imaging technology to assist in the development of stem cell therapies, raised £7.6M in Seed Round led by Octopus Ventures, w/ Horizons Ventures, Air Street Capital, and Verve Ventures.
5. Mercor, a platform using advanced AI to assess and match talent with companies, raised $3.6M led by General Catalyst w/ Scott Sandell (Chairman, CEO, and CIO of NEA), Soma Capital, Link Ventures, and 2 | Twelve Angels.
That's all for today's email! If you want more please follow us at the social channels linked below, or check out our website!
How'd you like today's email?
Share our newsletter: If you like our work please share/forward this email with your friends, colleagues, and family. It's the best way to support us!
If this email was forwarded to you please sign up here to continue receiving them.
Want your content, product, jobs, or event featured in our newsletter? Reply to this email with the details, and our team will reach out to you.
Do you use AI for work? Tell us how, and you could be featured in our newsletter!
Check out our website for more resources, including a list of AI investors, products, events, and twitter follows.
For an archive of all our posts, click here.
We'd love to hear from you! You can always leave us comments or feedback by replying to this email!