President Biden issues first-ever executive order on AI
Plus Google commits to investing $2Bn in Anthropic
📰 News: President Biden issues first-ever executive order on AI
💰 Funding: Google commits to investing $2Bn in Anthropic
⚡️ Top News Stories:
1. President Joe Biden introduces the U.S. government's first-ever executive order on AI, which consists of eight key components, including creating safety standards, protecting consumer privacy, advancing equity, and collaborating with international partners on AI standards.
The order also tasks several government agencies, including the National Institute of Standards and Safety (NIST), to develop standards for AI safety, content authentication, and cybersecurity.
The order mandates large AI companies, such as OpenAI and Meta, to share AI safety test results with the U.S. government prior to the official release of AI systems.
It addresses AI's potential risks in areas like biological synthesis, fraud detection, and cybersecurity.
It also emphasizes preventing AI discrimination, addressing job displacement, and promoting AI research and workforce development.
The order seeks to protect privacy by promoting privacy-preserving techniques and data privacy legislation.
The initiative builds on voluntary commitments previously secured by the White House from leading AI companies, marking the first significant binding government action on AI technology.
2. OpenAI's ChatGPT Plus beta now supports file uploads, offering advanced data analysis/visualizations, and multimodal interactions.
3. Crypto billionaire Jed McCaleb's nonprofit invests $500M in Nvidia chips, aiming to boost AI computing capacity.
4. Highly anticipated U.K. "AI Safety Summit" at Bletchley Park, will take place this Wed. and Thurs., and delve into the future risks and rewards of AI.
5. G7 nations unite to introduce a voluntary AI code of conduct for companies amid rising privacy concerns.
6. SAG-AFTRA strike progresses, w/ AI and streaming revenue sharing as key negotiation points.
7. Meta’s Chief AI Scientist, Yann LeCun challenges AI leaders' narratives, warning against a few entities controlling the AI landscape.
@RishiSunak@vonderleyen Altman, Hassabis, and Amodei are the ones doing massive corporate lobbying at the moment.
They are the ones who are attempting to perform a regulatory capture of the AI industry.
You, Geoff, and Yoshua are giving ammunition to those who are lobbying for a ban on open AI R&D.
— Yann LeCun (@ylecun)
Oct 29, 2023
8. Boston Dynamics integrates OpenAI LLM into it’s robot dog to merge robotics with Generative AI.
9. Amazon's AI growth evident as "Bedrock" and "CodeWhisperer" take center stage in earnings release.
10. Shutterstock's new AI integration offers smarter image recommendations from a vast 700M image library.
11. Google's new bug bounty targets generative AI vulnerabilities, bolstering AI safety and security.
12. DeepMind co-founder predicts a 50% chance of achieving AGI within 5 years, citing computational power growth.
13 Generative AI's role in the Israel-Hamas conflict: Amplifying narratives, but not the sole driver of disinformation.
💰 Top Funding News:
🚨1. Google commits to investing $2Bn in Anthropic, after already investing $550M earlier this year.
2. Ambient.ai, an AI-powered computer vision intelligence (CVI) company targeting the physical security industry, raised a $20M strategic growth investment from Allegion Ventures. Previous investors include Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), SV Angel, and Y Combinator.
That's all for today's email! If you want more please follow us at the social channels linked below, or check out our website!
How'd you like today's email?
Share our newsletter: If you like our work please share/forward this email with your friends, colleagues, and family. It's the best way to support us!
If this email was forwarded to you please sign up here to continue receiving them.
Want your content, product, jobs, or event featured in our newsletter? Reply to this email with the details, and our team will reach out to you.
Do you use AI for work? Tell us how, and you could be featured in our newsletter!
Check out our website for more resources, including a list of AI investors, products, events, and twitter follows.
For an archive of all our posts, click here.
We'd love to hear from you! You can always leave us comments or feedback by replying to this email!